This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

Austal adds Mine Warfare and Maritime Security to its Cape Class Patrol Boat family

a
EURONAVAL 2016 Online Show Daily - Press Release

Austal adds Mine Warfare and Maritime Security to its Cape Class Patrol Boat family

At Euronaval 2016, Austal has announced the addition of two new variants to the Cape Class Patrol Boat (CCPB) platform. These two new members in the CCPB family offer greater, multi-mission capability to a proven, benchmark patrol boat design. The CCPB is currently utilised by the Australian Border Force and Royal Australian Navy across a fleet of 8 vessels currently in operation.

Austal adds Mine Warfare and Maritime Security to its Cape Class Patrol Boat family 640 001Austal's Cape Class Patrol Boat scale model showcased at Euronaval 2016

Speaking about the new variants at Euronaval 2016, Austal Chief Executive Officer said the Cape Class has quickly become a benchmark for effective maritime border patrol capability, and the new variants build upon this success to offer even greater mission flexibility and fleet utilisation options.

With the ‘NEW CAPEability’ range, operators may now perform multiple, complex missions that have been traditionally carried out by Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV’s), for a much lower acquisition, lifecycle operation and sustainment cost and with the assurance of a proven, effective design.” Singleton remarked.

The new Maritime Security variant adds new weapons including a 30mm stabilised main gun, 2 x 12.7mm remote controlled guns, provision for short range anti-surface missile system, plus aviation support - in the form of a dedicated Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) launch pad, workshop and operations room.

The new Mine Warfare variant offers further multiple-mission capability with anti-mine warfare (MUW) packages (including an unmanned surface vessel, USV for mine sweeping). There is also a workshop and operations room that allows for additional mission profiles such as hydrographic survey.

These two variants add to the existing Border Protection variant that is already in operation with the Australian Border Force and Royal Australian Navy; providing essential maritime border protection, surveillance and interdiction support throughout Australia’s maritime jurisdiction.

The NEW CAPEability variants, currently under consideration by an overseas navy, are a low risk solution for operators seeking a vessel platform that offers high-performance across multiple mission profiles, reliably and economically. With a crew of just 18, the Cape is a cost effective alternative to larger, more expensive vessels and Austal’s proven success in customisation means that new designs may be tailored to meet specific regional or operating requirements quickly and easily.